I try not to endorse one anti virus product over the another because it seems what one person loves another might hate. With the unstable state our economy is in people are cutting back, WAY back on things they don’t need or simply cannot afford. DO NOT USE YOUR COMPUTER EVER WITHOUT CURRENT ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE! New viruses, trojans, worms, root kits, etc. are released in the wild everyday. Trust me they are getting meaner and nastier than ever before. Please don’t think that your safe not running up- to- date anti virus software just because you go to “safe” sites, never open “those junk looking emails”, or whatever other excuse you tell yourself to believe your “fine” without current anti virus software. Thinking along those lines will get you into trouble over time. There are “nasties” out there you don’t have to download, they can find you because your system is vulnerable. There’s truth to the saying, “Prey on the weak” in the world of computers!
There is a FREE anti virus software out there that’s good, just as good in my opinion as the high dollar ones (Norton, Trend Micro, Windows One Care, etc). I have it installed on my computer and have been using it for several months. It’s called avast!. It is a real program, not just an online scanner. It protects your computer in real time which is a real necessity! Here are a few points I would like to point out about avast!:
1. You will need to register the product with your email (they DO NOT spam you) the license is good for 14 months at which time you can renew again for FREE
2. Once installed you will see 2 small round blue icons in your task manager bar (by your clock) one has an a and one has an i, right click on the i and set it for the virus database to run when the computer is idol.
3. While you surf the net you will see the a icon spinning around so you know its protecting you
4. To perform a full system scan click on the icon on your desktop, a small thing will appear that looks like a car radio this is what you will use to actually perform manual scans
5. I would recommend you perform a manual full system scan once a week, even though you are protected in real time there is always the possibility of infection
6. To perform a full system scan click on the disk thing to the left of the radio then the PLAY button.
The link I have provided below is to the avast! website where the download is located as well as the User Guide (pdf format), all kinds of other info that should clear up any questions you may have. Enjoy not having to send Norton $60+ a computer every year!!